Monday, September 26, 2016

Comfort food and one pot meal: Moogachi khichadi ( different version)

For a quick but nourishing meal, we all resort to our comfort food. In all likelihood, your comfort food is the same as mine, Khichadi (rice, moong daal cooked with minimal or no spices added).
We all have the *most* basic version. But sometimes, even the humble version needs a makeover with almonds and raisins and some spices. 
And then we all have that version where we want to sneak in vegetables and make children ( and in some cases, older people) eat them.

During my recent India trip, my father caught a bug and came down with fever and had lost all his appetite. He lost weight and weakness enveloped him. It was so heart breaking to see him like that. 
Of course in a few days he was on the mend, slowly and along with medication and tonics, good food was needed.

This khichadi, has warming spices that give it the taste and perk up blah! taste buds. The vegetables and the moong daal (split and skin on) amp up the nutrition. 
While it tastes good on it's own, with the (mandatory, imho) generous drizzle of ghee, the popular saying, Ghee, Papad, Dahi, Achar : Khichadi ke hai char yaar, is perfect for this version.

alt="rice and lentil khichadi with vegetables"
alt= "Khichadi with vegetables and home made ghee"
Khichadi with vegetables and golden home made ghee


I have another version of khichadi that I make often, involving usage of 'goda masala' and hopefully I will blog about it soon (not too soon, though).
After all, there is no such thing as 'too much khichadi'. 
Pin It

8 comments:

Siri said...

Love the saying "Ghee, Papad, Dahi, Achar : Khichadi ke hai char yaar!" So true. :-) I hope your father is doing better now Mansi. Khichdi topped with ghee (which I totally agree is a must) looks sooo comforting!

Siri

Vaishali said...

Hi Pallavi, I was just thinking of making khichdi for dinner, and here's your post. The khichdi looks delicious. Agreed, no such thing as too much khichdi.
Hope you're dad's all better now.

Kathryn Roosa said...

Sorry if this is a stupid question but should the moong dal be soaked prior to using them in this recipe? Can't wait to make it; I love Indian food!

Manasi said...

Thank you, Siri. My father is well now, small ups and down are expected at his age (83).
I love khichadi and its variations, but yes, ghee is the constant. :)

Manasi said...

Thank you, Vaishali. He is fine (touchwood!).
I hope you try and like this khichadi. Let me know if you do.

Manasi said...

Thank you, Kathryn, I do hope you will try this version.
To answer your question, I do not soak moong daal. The thing with moond daal is, it is it cooks very easily ( and is also lighter to digest) and will soften easily when cooking.
In this recipe, you need to first lightly roast the daal and then wash it with rice. At this point, you can soak both rice and daal in water till it's time to add it, it's optional.
I usually wash and drain and set it aside to be added at the right stage.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Vandana said...

Looks tempting!!! Can't wait to try��

Love
Vandu

Manasi said...

Thank you, V! Hope you do and you all like it. Let me know.

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape