Friday, March 16, 2007

H is for....... Hara Bhara Kabab!!

The Husband called up to inform me that he was going to be late.....
Me: " how late is late?"
He: "umm, a bit..."
Me:" but it is already 8 pm, later than usual..."
He: " yes, just a bit more..."
Me: "ok, lekin jaldi ana.."
He: " hunh?.. acha, ok...."
After an hour I called up to check the status...
He: " 'Lo (sounding cross)"
Me :" Main hun (it's me).. (now he won't sound cross!!)"
He : "hmm.... what?"
Me:"Ghar kab aoge? (when will you come home?)"
He: clicked his tongue in an exasperated manner... " I will come home, sooner or later"
Me : " how sooner ... or later?"
He: "If you don't disturb me, sooner... otherwise later"
There you are! Whatever happened to the... "damn the office, I wish I could be with you".. ~sighhhhh~

Now that I had plenty of time on my hands, what better to do than potter around in the kitchen?
Apart from that, for a few days now, I was wondering what dish to make starting with H..... for Nupur's A-Z of Vegetables.
The first thing that came to mind was Harbhare and Hirve Watane, the former which I could not find in the market and the latter which I assiduously avoid and when not possible,try to make their presence as inconspicuous as possible!!
And then I remembered Hara Bhara Kebab! This appetizer scores high on the list in any menu card at any restaurant. Made up of the versatile Potato also has a good amount tof vegetables in it. What an appetizing way to sneak in those greens! The kebab gets it name from the colour it has when spinach and green peas are added to mashed potatoes.
The recipe is simple and easy and not very time consuming to say nothing of lip-smacking! A sure hit when you have a dinner party!

For Hara bhara Kabab you need :
3 Large Boiled potatoes
Half cup Boiled green peas ( this is the least i added, you may want to add more if you love peas!!)
100 gms Boiled spinach

2 tbsps Chopped cilantro
1 tbsp Chopped green chili
1 tbsp Chopped / grated ginger
1 tsp Chaat masala
2 tbsps Cornflour
Oil for deep frying
Salt As per taste

Peel and grate boiled potatoes.
Mash boiled green peas.
Squeeze out excess water (very important) of spinach and chop finely or run thru' blender.
Mix grated potatoes, peas and spinach. Add chopped green chilies, chopped green coriander, chopped ginger, chaat masala and salt. Add cornflour for binding.
Divide the mixture into equal portions. Shape them into a ball and then press it in between your palms to flatten it. These are now called tikkis.
Heat oil in a Kadhai. Deep-fry the tikkis in hot oil for 3-4 minutes.
Serve hot with sauce / mint chutney.

Tip: You may also shallow-fry the Hara Bhara Kabab on a griddle plate or a Tavaa as I did , but nothing beats deep frying these!!



Pin It

12 comments:

TNL said...

hehehe...MEN!!!

Kababs look great, I bet your hubby liked those greeting him at the door!

have a great weekend Manasi,and thanks for your comment!

Seema Bhat said...

I love Hara Bhara Kababs as well...These kababs toped with tomato ketchup ummmmm yummy yummy. I have a different version of these kababs in my blog as well. Am gonna make it your way next time.

Seema Bhat said...

Mansi opps forgot to mention that I just loved your writeup and even made my hubby read it. He just laughed and u guess what was his statement...I guess she is also like you ;-)

FH said...

Hara bara itself makes my mouth water!:)) Looks great Manasi.

Lakshmik said...

Hi Manasi

Nice recipe. The kababs seem delicious.

Swapna said...

I love Hara Bhara Kabab..yours look mouth-watering..and here am I sitting on an empty stomach:(..
Thanks for the recipe..M sure gonna try it
Swaps

Viji said...

Very nice manasi, as you said i can avoid deep frying and try this one. Looks so yummy. Viji

Anonymous said...

Absolutely neat!!!!! And mouth wateringly delicious!!!! :)

If you keep making these things when he comes late..... he will always keep coming late!!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi mansi just saw ur work n found it really very intresting. Keep posting intresting recipies.

Manasi said...

Hi Kiran! Welcome to my blog!! thanx a lot for ur kind words, they are very encouraging!!

Sonia said...

Hi Manasi,
I know I am very new and late to ur blog. but I found very interesting recipes at ur blog. keep it up...!!!:-)
Sonu.

jen said...

heheh .. its the thing of every working men and women "I will come home, sooner or later" :)

i work and when i reach home before my husband .. GOSH ... IT FEELS SO FKING DAMN SAD.

wonder how housewives live !!!!!

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape