Saturday, February 17, 2007

D is for -Dadpe pohe

This is yet another snack from Maharashtra! A simple and spicy tea time snack, just when you want something that is spicy and tangy! Ummm!!
My Mother used to make this snack for us... in fact sometimes it was almost a substitute for 'sukha bhel' !
This snack needs little time to prepare and consists of items which are normally available at home.
I would like to make this as my entry for Nupur's Invitation for the A-Z of Indian Veges.
at One Hot Stove.... Hey Nupur, this will qualify, won't it?

You need :

2 cups Thin Poha
2-3 tbsp. Roasted Peanuts (or raw peanuts that can be fried in oil)
1 big Onion
1- 2 Tomato
1 Lemon (Juice)
Sugar to taste
1 Green chilly ( + / - to taste)
Salt to taste
2 tbsp. Oil
1/2 tsp. each Mustard + Cumin seeds
Pinch asafetida
1/4 spn. Turmeric
Few Curry leaves
Dry Red Chilly
Cilantro to garnish


For the Tadka:
Heat oil. Fry the raw peanuts to a golden crispy brown. Add the mustard seeds, after they sputter add cumin seeds, add asafetida.
Add the dry red chili and curry and turmeric powder.
Let this tadka cool a little.
Finely chop the Onions, Tomato and Cilantro.
Mix together the Poha, onion, tomato and green chili.
Add the salt and sugar.
Add the Tadka to the poha. Add lemon juice. Mix thoroughly.
Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
This snack does not need any water as the onion and tomato help in making the poha soft. However, keeping it for long only makes it soggy.

You can also add green peas, carrots to give it additional nutrition. Alternately, adding grated raw mango can be substituted for lemon juice.



Pin It

13 comments:

FH said...

You love these kinda snacks,don't you?:D Looks yummy.Enjoy and great entry for 'D'!

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

Are waa Aaj Pohayacha beta aahe waatate

Anonymous said...

Hi Manasi, I love poha but haven't made any snacks with it... your recipe looks so tasty, I'll have to try! Thanks for sharing it :)

TNL said...

oh wow...does this ever look yummy..must try this for a snack sometime...glad you and M liked the poodas...!

Trupti

Ashwini said...

Dadpe pohe ani chaha ;-)
I love no cook poha dishes like these.

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

I wonder if the word “Dadpe” is right for this recipe. I may be wtong. Dadpe means pressed. If I am not wrong, the uncooked pohe after processing are kept under Pata (from Pata Varvanta of those good old days) for some time.

One of the recipe of Dadpe Pohe I know is Wash Pohe, Ramove excess water, add chopped onion, green chillies, grated coconut, coriander, few lemon drops, mix together, keep it pressed under heavy weight for a while

Manasi said...

Hi Asha, Hehe, I do like these snacks and also like the 'quick fix' type!

HKji, Ho aaj pohyancha bet ahe! About ur version of 'dadpe pohe', sounds great but I have had only this version... let me look up and chk if there are others!

Hi Linda, Hope u like this version!

Hi Trupti,I like dadpe pohe ocassionally.. and the poodas u made are real nice!

Hi Ashwini, aah, chaha barobar! mast!!

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

पोह्याचे बनवण्याचे अनेक प्रकार आहेत. आमच्या इदुरला सुरेख पोहे मीळ्त्तात, रतलामी शेव टाकुन

Anuradha Exwaized said...

Hi Manasi!
I have always made poha everytime hubby and I were longing for a filling snack. My hubby loves my poha. However, today, I made your 'dadpe pohe', and LOVED it! I had never tried using cumin and mustard seeds together in poha. Waiting for my hubby to be back so that I can make this yummy pohe for him. Thanks.

Swapna said...

Hey Dear,
I loveeeeeee dadpe pohe.Infact,I love them more than the normal batata or kanda poha. I used to hog on them in India. Atleast, 4-5 dishes:-)Have been meaning to make them at home.
Luv,
Swaps

Anonymous said...

Nice snack there Manasi!!!! :)

TNL said...

I made it this afternoon! It turned out great,Manasi....I left out the peanuts this time...because K doesn't like them,..I am gonna make it again tomorrow for my lunch-with peanuts!

thanks my dear for such a nice recipe.

trupti

Anonymous said...

interesting never thought of using the thin poha for making pohs you know always thought it was meant to be used only for chivda....well im glad i landed out here. Im new to blogspot only just opened up my new blog.....its my first cookery blog so ill be glad for any help i can get...........

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape